I remember this lesson is conducted by Dr. Noor Dayana. Our lesson is about the 3 types of engagement in online community of inquiry namely Social Presence, Cognitive Presence and Teaching Presence. In the lesson, we also learnt how to do use Google Slides to work collaboratively in finding information and completing the task on ‘The Types of Engagement in Online Community of Inquiry’.
Moving on, I will briefly summarize what I understand about the 3 types of the engagement learnt earlier on, from Social Presence, Cognitive Presence to Teaching Presence:
1. Social Presence
- Social presence is defined as “the ability of one’s self and establish personal and purposeful relationship” (Garrison, n.d.).
- The 3 aspects are emphasized here which are effective communication, open communication and group cohesion.
- Hence, from the yellow circle above, social presence involves the risk-free expression and encourages collaboration.
2. Cognitive Presence
- Cognitive Presence is defined as “the exploration, construction, resolution and confirmation of understanding through collaboration and reflection in a community of Inquiry”(Garrison, n.d.).
- In fact, there are four phases for cognitive presence namely (1) Triggering Event: The sense of puzzlement of students (2) Exploration: Through information exchange (3)Integration: Through connecting ideas and (4) Resolution: Through applying new ideas.
- This can be seen in the pink circle shown above.
3. Teaching Presence
- Teaching presence has 3 clear categories which are Design, Facilitation and Direct Instruction.
- Teaching presence is crucial to ensure online successful learning.
- It is supported that “interaction and discourse plays a key role in higher-order learning but not without structure (design) and leadership (facilitation and direction).
- The design (curriculum, goals, method) poses a great influence on how the students perceive other components of teaching presence.
- It is shown in the green circle above.
Hence, from the chart depicted above, we can see the 3 types of engagement are actually correlated so as to provide an educational experience for the students via online learning. This community of inquiry framework indeed provides a beneficial tool and approach for teachers and students to teach and learn online.
That’s all for the lesson. Thanks for reading 🙂